Saturday, February 14, 2009

Is Twitter Really the Dumbest Thing Ever?

There's a funny article in Web 2.0 Journal by an SEO consultant from Italy named Salvatore Genovese, who thinks that Twitter is the dumbest thing he's ever seen. The column appears next to a short piece I wrote about my twittecdotes.

Salvatore thinks that Twitter is full of "spammers and crazy people." Yeah, and your point is?....

The world is full of spammers and crazy people, and Twitter is nothing more than a million-plus-strong flock of humanity.

Personally, I've found Twitter to be a handy way to blast out quick messages to friends. It's led me to some new acquaintences who I think are less crazy than me.

Most important, it keeps me off the streets and busy thinking about the 140-character writing metier.

I don't know Salvatore, but I'll extend him the courtesy of assuming he is a decent guy who knows a lot about SEO and other stuff. But surely he's led a sheltered life.

If Twitter is the dumbest thing Salvatore Genovese has ever seen, that means he has never seen:

* Microsoft Bob

* The Astronaut Farmer

* Digger Phelps talking about basketball

* Lee Corso talking about college football

* Hulk Hogan's daughter talking about anything

* The Apple Newton

* Microsoft Bookshelf (Redmond's original CD-ROM product)

* Me, with my high-school friends from Illinois

* Any GMC commercial

* The Army Show


Dumb And Dumber

This list could go on past the horizon. Salvatore probably hasn't seen many of the things this short compilation...but really, he should at least rent The Astronaut Farmer, so he can move Twitter to second place on his list.

For me, I kinda like Twitter. It doesn't seem dumb at all to me. But then, I don't seem dumb to me either.

1 comments:

Your Momma said...

You are most definitely dumb.

Post a Comment