Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It Was a Dark and Stormy Morning...


...as I set off on my commute to begin the short week following Presidents' Day. Ack, although I enjoy the three-day week-end, I'll never get used to the euphemstic re-naming of this holiday.

It's a difficult semantic problem. With Lincon born on Jan. 12 and Washington on Jan. 22, it was too awkward to have two holidays so close together. So the intention was to honor them both. But the combined holiday also implies we should honor Franklin Pierce or Warren Harding, maybe Tippecanoe and Tyler, too.

Oh well, the foreboding cloud I saw on my way over the Dumbarton Bridge may be an omen for the first day of the rest of our economy's life...or not, I hope. Or maybe it's a sign that I should be writing more about Cloud Computing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment