Monday, January 11, 2010

New Hotel Policy: Green, or Disgusting?


Here's the little sign I found on my unchanged bed in my hotel room yesterday afternoon.

The pic is a little blurry. Here's what the sign says:

"Bedsheets that are washed daily in thousands of hotels around the world use millions of gallons of water and a lot of detergent.

"Please leave this card on the bed if you do not want your sheets changed.

"Thank-you for helping us conserve the Earth's vital resources."

The rhetoric here is certainly self-righteous and high-flown enough to qualify as a legitimate political point of view.

But isn't this just a dodge? Isn't this just a way to rationalize why the hotel doesn't want to pay to have its rooms cleaned every day?

Even worse, this hotel has a policy of sending its maids around every other day, so even if you want those sheets changed on, say, Sunday, there's a good chance they won't be changed until Monday.

The place does have a very low rate, so I'm sticking with it, as I'm on a tight budget while researching some stories. So I won't name names, because other than the gross-out factor associated with this sign and policy, I kinda like the place. I realize that not everyone will agree with me here.

Has anyone else encountered this policy?

0 comments:

Post a Comment