Monday, December 15, 2008

"Thought Leadership" in China

So I was involved in some discussions about high-level enterprise IT with half a dozen people in Beijing. I had the help of an interpreter, although everyone involved had a good grasp of English and had been to North America at least once.

I noted how NOW Magazine has a mission to focus on "Thought Leadership" within enterprise IT architecture, and I wanted to see how that phrase sounded to Chinese ears. During our discussion, held in Beijing, no one would translate the phrase into Mandarin. They just kept repeating "Thought Leadership."

So I said "you know, this phrase sounds just great to my ears. It demonstrates individual initiative and the willingness to seize opportunity, eg 'I am a Thought Leader.' But I think we need something else for China."

Why yes, everyone agreed. The original phrase just doesn't scan well in Mandarin. After further discussion, my new friends revealed that the ideal companies in China were said to be "forward looking" (Qian Zhan Xing) and that companies with this ability could "be influential" (Ying Xiang Li). Less ehmpasis on the individual, and the leadership is implied rather than stated directly.

So a new tagline was born for NOW China -- Qian Zhan Xing/Ying Xiang Li. (Sorry but I don't have the fonts to put the Chinese characters here!)

Now that's Thought Leadership!

0 comments:

Post a Comment